Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Businesses Google HP Microsoft Apple

Apple, Microsoft, Google, Others Join Hands To Form WebPlatform.org 138

Posted by samzenpus
from the when-our-powers-combine dept.
hypnosec writes "Apple, Adobe, Google, HP, Microsoft and many others have joined forces and launched a new resource – the Web Platform in a bid to create a 'definitive resource' for all open Web technologies. The companies have come together to provide developers with a single source of all the latest information about HTML5, CSS3, WebGL, SVG and other Web standards. The platform will also offer tips and best practices on web development as well as web technologies. 'We are an open community of developers building resources for a better web, regardless of brand, browser or platform,' notes the WebPlatform site."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Apple, Microsoft, Google, Others Join Hands To Form WebPlatform.org

Comments Filter:
  • Re:w3schools (Score:5, Informative)

    by man_of_mr_e (217855) on Monday October 08, 2012 @05:34PM (#41590637)

    You mean this?

    http://w3fools.com/ [w3fools.com]

  • Re:Strange (Score:2, Informative)

    by Anonymous Coward on Monday October 08, 2012 @06:59PM (#41591391)

    After asking in the IRC chat, Doug Schepers (shepazu) responded by saying that Apple was contributing but had requested that their logo not appear on the front page.

  • by elloGov (1217998) on Monday October 08, 2012 @07:35PM (#41591639)
    I seriously question the web expertise of anyone who snubs w3schools as a "terrible", "painful" resource for web development. If you are looking for a copy-paste reference of best practices, w3schools isn't it. Nor is w3schools.com a definitive guide. However, there isn't a resource that is more user-friendly than w3schools on many of the web topics.
    http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/obj_location.asp [w3schools.com] V https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DOM/window.location [mozilla.org]

    Moreover, w3schools.com does a fantastic job in maintaining the big picture of web development by separating its components in its reference pages; DOM, JavaScript, CSS, HTML, etc..
    Anyone stating otherwise is full of it. The tutorials, layout, and "Try it Out' execution environment are quick and fantastic for those not interested in reading a blog. 95% of the reference needed w3schools.com has. The other 5%, as a seasoned web developer you should see blog entries, quirksmode, msdn, mdn, etc. and/or investigate in an execution environment such as firebug.
    The subtle nuances, nit-picky details, over-simplification, or the lack of mention of say "getBoundingClientRect" doesn't invalidate the awesomeness of w3schools, and it certainly doesn't make it suck. Mastering a topic shouldn't turn you into a snob.
    I strongly recommend w3schools.com to anyone who wants to get a good grasp of web development without diving into the advanced topics or anyone who wants a quick reference look up.

    Just my two cents!
  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday October 08, 2012 @11:30PM (#41593171)

    w3schools IS the source for the copypasta crowd of wannabes and taxi drivers who think they are coders because they read a HTML book five years ago. So stop calling people "snobs" just because you are one of those wannabes and you don't like people to pop your delusional bubble.

    You're not a professional. Actual professionals (>95% of people who say they are, aren't) use the actual specifications from the W3C, WhatWG (yeah, unfortunately), and the Mozilla Developer Network. (Or whoever designed the specific API/language.)
    Some vague tutorials and "try it out" crap simply doesn't cut it. We need the actual spec.

    I am the guy your clients call, when they are fed up with you, and want a real professional. Or more exactly: They didn't even know what they got until now wasn't professional. They simply were fed up with the buggy half-assed crap they got.
    And boy did I have to clean up a ton of copypasta, catastrophically bad HTML, and horribly misused JavaScript.
    You can always see the glow in their eyes, when you tell them, you implemented something they were previously told was completely impossible. "You can do that?? Wow, how cool!" They basically want to stuff me with money and hugs in those moments. It's frightening.

    How you even manage to get things done with that shit resource that w3schools is, is a small wonder.

If you think the system is working, ask someone who's waiting for a prompt.

Working...